[notmuch] 25 minutes load time with emacs -f notmuch

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Sat Nov 21 09:26:39 PST 2009

On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:36:55 +0100, Stefan Schmidt <stefan at datenfreihafen.org> wrote:
> I executed "/usr/local/bin/notmuch search --sort=oldest-first tag:inbox" by hand
> and from the 21 minutes it took it stayed around 20 in a state where no new
> message where printed and then sudenly all the rest comes up.

That's actually the expected behavior currently.

It used to be that "notmuch search" on the command line wouldn't present
any results until everything was available.

I recently threw in a hack to present the first 100 thread results
quickly and only then does it sit and spin before all the results are
available. I suppose it wouldn't be any harder for it to keep returning
chunks of 100 threads at a time, (though this will slow down the final
result a bit---perhaps not significantly).

And I wouldn't really mind any slowdown there anyway, since any *real*
interface should be calling "notmuch search" in small chunks anyway.

So I'll go ahead and do that.

> In my case only 80 messages were printed before the gap. All of them had a wrong
> year in the timestamp. 1900 and 1970. Maybe notmuch just comes into a bad state
> with this dates?

I don't think the bogus dates are throwing anything off. It's more
likely that you just have a number of messages with no Date header on
them at all. And for such messages, notmuch just chooses a time_t value
of 0 so you'll see whatever that 0 maps to on your system---a date of
1970 there is not surprising. :-)

> I will remove these mails and re-generate the notmuch index to test this out
> after dinner later today.

See my other mail. You may want to tweak the behavior of "notmuch new"
before running it again. (I would not expect the results to be any
different from running it again with no change.)

-Carl