[notmuch] Mac OS X/Darwin compatibility issues

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Nov 18 14:27:20 PST 2009

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:50:17 +0800, Jjgod Jiang <gzjjgod at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. g++ reports 'warning: command line option "-Wmissing-declarations"
> is valid for C/ObjC but not for C++'

In cairo, what we do is have a huge list of desired warnings and then
test each one in turn with a test-compile in the configure script.
That's probably what we should do here, (I recently established a
Makefile.config for this purpose that should be generated by the
configure script.)

> 2.
> notmuch-reply.c: In function ‘address_is_users’:
> notmuch-reply.c:87: warning: passing argument 2 of
> ‘notmuch_config_get_user_other_email’ from incompatible pointer type

Thanks for the report. I think I saw a fix for this in a commit from
Chris Wilson that's in my queue. (Though from a quick glance I'm not
sure where the size_t type got started in the code and propagated
throught this part).

> 3. Several errors about missing GNU extensions like getline() and strndup():
>
> warning: implicit declaration of function ‘getline’
> error: ‘strndup’ was not declared in this scope
>
> We can implement these with fgets() and strncpy() though.

Yes. I knew I was "cheating" by using some GNU extensions here. I'm
happy to accept portability patches for these things, but it's hard for
me to get excited about writing them myself.

Care to take a whack at these?

-Carl