[notmuch] Introducing myself

Adrian Perez de Castro aperez at igalia.com
Wed Nov 18 08:47:25 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:03:17 -0800, Keith wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 00:20:59 +0100, Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com> wrote:
>
> > Also, I would like to share one idea I had in mind, that you might find
> > interesting: One thing I have found very annoying is having to re-tag my
> > mail when the indexes get b0rked (it happened a couple of times to me while
> > using Sup), so I was planning to mails as read/unread and adding the tags
> > not just to the index, but to the mail text itself, e.g. by adding a
> > "X-Tags" header field or by reusing the "Keywords" one.
>
> Easier than that, notmuch (and sup too), provide a 'dump' command which
> just lists all of the message IDs and their associated tags. Makes
> saving tags easy and doesn't involve rewriting messages. I do this once
> a day just before my computer is backed up to an external drive.
>
> If the index is destroyed, you can reindex the messages and then reapply
> all of the tags with 'notmuch restore'.

I already knew about "dump" and "restore", just wanted to share my
(wild) thought. I have been thinking a bit more, and if I understand
correctly the philosophy of Not Much is that it will only read my mail
and that it will never write to my mailboxes. So my idea makes no sense.
The nice thing is that I could make a script to read the index (or the
output of "notmuch dump") to add the "X-Tags" headers and mark mail :P
Taking into account this and the "do one thing well" motto: there is no
point in adding that to Not Much :)

Regards,

--
Adrian Perez de Castro <aperez at igalia.com>