[notmuch] Working with Maildir storage?

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Nov 18 02:08:10 PST 2009

On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:00:54 -0500, Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at seas.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I saw the LWN article and decided to take a look at notmuch.  I'm
> currently using mutt and mairix to index and read a collection of
> Maildir mail folders (around 40,000 messages total).

Welcome, Lars!

I hadn't even seen that Keith's blog post had been picked up by lwn.net.
That's very interesting. So, thanks for coming and trying out notmuch.

>   Error opening
>   /home/lars/Mail/read-messages.2008/cur/1246413773.24928_27334.hostname,U=3026:2,S:
>   Too many open files

Sadly, the lwn article coincided with me having just introduced this
bug, and then getting on a Trans-Atlantic flight. So I fixed the bug
fairly quickly, but there was quite a bit of latency before I could push
the fix out. It should be fixed now.

> I'm curious if this is expected behavior (i.e., notmuch does not work
> with Maildir) or if something else is going on.

Notmuch works just fine with maildir---it's one of the things that it
likes the best.

Happy hacking,

-Carl