[Patch v2 0/3] emacs: allow show to colour based on tags and flags

Mark Walters markwalters1009 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 29 16:37:22 PDT 2012

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012, Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> wrote:
> I haven't really looked at this series yet, but I do have a quick
> high-level question.  Why use separate customization variables for the
> colors in search and show mode?  Wouldn't it make more sense to set
> the colors just once and use them in both modes?

I think that their use is somewhat different since in show mode the
colour can be quite high contrast because mostly you only have a few
header lines (that may depend how much time you spend in
expanded/collapsed views); one example is that in show mode the header
line normally has a background colour (I think even without
customisation) whereas in search mode that would be weird as every line
would have it.

> BTW, I like how this clearly distinguishes tags and flags.  I wonder
> if we could transition to flags for some information that's current
> shoe-horned into tags but actually represents immutable information
> about a message (attachment, signed, and encrypted or so).

Yes some of those could make sense: I hadn't thought about them at
all. I think attachment is closer to a genuine tag as I frequently include
tag:attachment in my searched but I would guess that searching for
signed/encrypted is not as common (but I don't use either so could be wrong)

> My one concern is that there's a common tag called "flagged", so this
> might be overloading terminology.

I hadn't thought of that: I agree but don't have a good suggestion for
avoiding it.

Best wishes

Mark