incrontab?

Justus Winter 4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Thu Apr 12 08:52:34 PDT 2012

Hi David,

Quoting David Belohrad (2012-04-12 10:25:45)
>Dear All,
>
>is somebody using incrontab to issue 'notmuch new'? I've tried but with
>only partial success. I have setup incrotab to run 'notmuch new' when
>something changes in my Maildir. However it is not
>reliable. E.g. sometimes it works out of the box, sometimes it seems
>that 'notmuch new' is simply not invoked at all even if I see in
>/var/log/mail.log, that a new mail was delivered correctly to the
>folder. Anyone really uses this setup?

Yes, kind of. I've extended afew to use inotify to monitor file
renames and to add and tag new mails. It works quite nicely and is
very fast. But it is a bit rough and does not work with an unpatched
version of notmuch.

Make sure you just register for IN_MOVED_TO events and you might miss
mails if a second mail arrives while notmuch new is still running.

Justus