How to decrypt multipart/encrypted parts in notmuch-emacs

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu
Wed Apr 11 13:50:47 PDT 2012

Hi.

Jameson Graef Rollins
<jrollins at finestructure.net> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 11 2012, Olivier Berger <olivier.berger at it-sudparis.eu> wrote:
>> Is there a way to decrypt multipart/encrypted messages in notmuch-emacs
>
> Hi, Olivier.  Yes, it is possible.
>
>> I can only get a purple "Decryption error" message...
>
> The fact that you're getting this messages means that notmuch is
> attempting to decrypt the message, but there was a decryption problem.
>
> A typical problem is that gpg-agent is not running.  Notmuch uses gnupg
> to decrypt, but it requires that gpg-agent be running to get the
> passphrase from the user.  Do you have gpg-agent running?

Thanks for this suggestion.

As I've responded to Daniel Kahn Gillmor in another message, it seems
that I may have messed with my config, and gpg-agent may not have worked
properly.

That's now fixed, I think. See below.

>> The mail looks like :
>
> The format of the multipart/encrypted looks fine, so I see no problems
> there (assuming the encryption was done properly).
>
> You might also try decrypting the message on the command line, as that
> will take any emacs issues out of the loop:
>
> notmuch show --decrypt id:$msgid

That works now, but only on the command-line.

Still, in notmuch-emacs, I can still see the purple "Decryption error"
message :-/

Weird.

Any other ideas ?

Best regards,