Dreaming of tag-based e-mailing

Fernando H. F. Botelho fernando.botelho at f123.org
Fri Apr 6 17:23:22 PDT 2012

Hi everyone,

I use F123, which is an Ubuntu-based distribution developed for use by
the blind. I have been researching SugarCRM and other applications
looking for tag-based mailing without success and when I heard of Mutt
and NotMuch I became hopeful again.

Please tell me if this would be possible with NotMuch + Mutt or
something else:

1. I tag incoming messages with any number of arbitrary tags, and these
get assigned not just to that specific e-mail message, but also to the
contact (i.e. email address) behind it.
2. I decide I have a message to send to every person that has tag A, B,
D, F, and Z, and I select those and the e-mail client allows me to
e-mail my message to every contact that has all of those tags.

I assume there is no e-mail client that is able to do this today, is
this correct?

Could NotMuch do this in combination with Mutt on Gnome Terminal or
Thunderbird on Gnome?

I am not a developer but I might be able to get volunteer help if I know
what are the pieces that are most likely to work out into a nice looking
puzzle. By that I mean, that I need to know if I should ask for help
from someone that knows C, Python, PHP, or something else, or if that
someone has to be a big Mutt fan, or SugarCRM, or Thunderbird, etc.

I am also trying to find a solution that would run on Gnome or the Gnome
Terminal as KDE is not accessible to the Orca screen reader right now.

Thanks,

Fernando