Goto command for existing search windows

Mark Anderson MarkR.Anderson at amd.com
Thu Mar 29 08:47:14 PDT 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 14:24:36 -0600, Mark Anderson <MarkR.Anderson at amd.com> wrote:
> I was looking for a function which would find a buffer based on one of
> my saved searches, and perform the search if it didn't exist.
>
> I've gotten it a bit closer, if I perform the search that matches a
> saved search, then this routine will find it because of the magic in
> notmuch-search-buffer-title, but perhaps someone else feels up to
> searching through the saved searches directly?
>

> (defun notmuch-goto-or-search (&optional query)
>   "Find a notmuch-search buffer with the given query, or run
> \"notmuch search\" with the given `query' and display results.
>
> If `query' is nil, it is read interactively from the minibuffer."
>   (interactive)
>   (if (null query)
>       (setq query (notmuch-read-query "Notmuch goto-or-search: ")))
>   (let ((buffer-name (notmuch-search-buffer-title query)))
>     (setq buf (get-buffer buffer-name)))
>
>     (if (not buf)
>         (notmuch-search query)
>       (switch-to-buffer buf)
>       )))

I have a slightly better-for-me version now:

(defun notmuch-goto-or-search (&optional query)
  "Find a notmuch saved-search query with the given name, or a
search with the given query, switching to an existing buffer
without changes in preference to automatically refreshing or
creating the search buffer.

If `query' is nil, it is read interactively from the minibuffer."
  (interactive)
  (if (null query)
      (setq query (notmuch-read-query "Notmuch goto-or-search: ")))
  (let ((saved-search-tuple (assoc query notmuch-saved-searches)))
    (setq expanded-query
          (if (null saved-search-tuple)
              query
            (cdr saved-search-tuple))))
  (let ((buffer-name (notmuch-search-buffer-title expanded-query)))
    (setq buf (get-buffer buffer-name)))
    (if (not buf)
        (notmuch-search expanded-query)
      (switch-to-buffer buf)
      ))

This does search the saved searches to see if you entered a saved search
name.  With this I don't have to duplicate my query for saved searches
in key bindings.

(global-set-key [f8] (lambda () (interactive) (notmuch-goto-or-search "Inbox")))
(global-set-key [f9] (lambda () (interactive) (notmuch-goto-or-search "INBOX")))
(global-set-key [f10] (lambda () (interactive) (notmuch-goto-or-search "todo")))