[alot] announcing v0.3
patricktotzke at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:35:06 PDT 2012
I have just released version 0.3 of my terminal GUI `alot`; You can get a tarball here .
This release features many bugfixes, a revised config syntax and a fairly complete user and API
Detailed usage updates since v0.21:
* revised config syntax!
* config file validation, better feedback on malformed configs
* themes read from separate files in their own (validated) syntax
* complete mailcap compatibility
* user manual
* direct addressbook type that parses `abook`s contacts
* completion for multiple recipients via AbooksCompleter
* completion for optional command parameter
* generate and set a Message-ID header when constructing mails
* add User-Agent header by default
* add sent and saved draft mails to the notmuch index and add custom tags
* guess file encodings with libmagic
* new thread mode command: "remove" to delete messages from the index
* new thread mode command: "editnew" e.g. to continue drafts (bound to 'n')
* new thread mode command: "togglesource" to display raw messages (bound to 'h')
* virtual "Tags" header for print and pipeto commands via --add_tags parameter
* much improved pipeto command in thread mode
* --spawn parameter for reply,forward,compose,editnew in thread mode
* --no-flush parameter for delayed flushing in tag,untag,toggletags commands
* make "signature as attachment" configurable; --omit_signature parameter for compose
* new envelope command: "save" to save as draft (bound to 'P')
* --no-refocus and --spawn parameter for edit in envelope mode
* header key completion for set/unset in envelope buffer
* "Me" substitution for ones own name/address in authors string
* new search mode command and search argument: "sort"
* renamed search mode command 'toggletag' to "toggletags"
* new search mode commands: "tag" and "untag"
* custom tagstring representation: hiding, substitution, colours, multi-matching
Thanks goes to those who contributed:
$git shortlog -sen 0.21..| tail -n +2
52 dtk <dtk at gmx.de>
34 Daniel <quite at hack.org>
15 Justus Winter <4winter at informatik.uni-hamburg.de>
4 bjoernb <post at bjoern.homelinux.org>
3 Stanislav Ochotnicky <sochotnicky at redhat.com>
2 Tom Prince <tom.prince at ualberta.net>,
..everyone who send feedback and of course to all notmuch contributors.
After this release I will switch the git branching model , so expect the "testing" branch to
For the curious: The README.md lists some future goals together with their envisioned milestone
and pointers proof-of-concept implementations.
I could use some help from packagers. It should be relatively straight forward to package alot
but I haven't bothered to read up on the python packaging docs for $YOUR_DISTRI. A minor
complication could be that the docs should be generated at build time, which would introduce
some build-dependencies (mostly sphinx) that aren't runtime deps. The installation section in
the manual lists all dependencies, licence is GPL3+, let me know if you need any more info.
As always, don't hesitate to send feedback, bug reports, feature or pull requests via the
projects github page .
More information about the notmuch