thread sorting ideas

Jameson Rollins jrollins at finestructure.net
Mon Jun 21 09:55:16 PDT 2010

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:03:40 -0700, Dirk Hohndel <hohndel at infradead.org> wrote:
> Here is a feature that I could really use some times...
>
> Instead of sorting the threads based on the date of the first message in
> the thread, sort them based on the newest message in the thread. So if I
> take a quick look at the bottom (I am an "oldest first" kinda person) of
> a search and I see all the threads that have the newest messages.
>
> My suggestion would be to turn 'o' into a two key command:
>
> o-o : oldest first, sort by oldest message in thread
> o-O : oldest first, sort by newest message in thread
> o-n : newest first, sort by oldest message in thread
> o-N : newest first, sort by newest message in thread
> o-s : sort by subject?
> o-z : unthreaded, sort by message size?
>
> you can come up with many more sort ideas...

I too would really like to see threads sorted by the newest message in
the thread when sorting oldest first.  In fact, it seems to me that
messages should *always* be sorted by the newest message in the thread.
But I can accept that others might prefer different sortings, in which
case your sorting suggestions seem abundantly reasonable to me, Dirk.

jamie.