[notmuch] Notmuch performance problems on OSX

Oliver Charles oliver.g.charles at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:16:29 PST 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:09 PM, Olly Betts <olly at survex.com> wrote:
> On 2010-02-09, Oliver Charles wrote:
>> I just upgraded to xapian-core HEAD and notmuch master tip today, in
>> desparation to get away from GMail. Sadly it's still taking at least
>> 0.7s to tag a single thread (with one message). I'm really eager to
>> solve this, could anyone give me any pointers on how I could go about
>> profiling it or finding the cause of this problem?
>
> The first thing to try is disabling use of F_FULLFSYNC.  You'll need to
> run this command in the xapian-core source tree to comment out the F_FULLFSYNC
> code:
>
> perl -pi -e 's/^#ifdef F_FULLFSYNC/#if 0/' backends/*/*_io.h
>
> Then run "make" and "make install".

$ time notmuch tag +inbox thread:6e66368b7887184c6d4c63653211b3f2

real    0m0.067s
user    0m0.036s
sys     0m0.028s

Now this looks a little bit more usable!

> Assuming that helps, then (a) you have a workaround, and (b) we'll know for
> sure it is F_FULLFSYNC to blame.

Looks like this is the case.

> I've created a ticket for a change to Xapian which should help here, but
> not had a chance to work on it yet:
>
> http://trac.xapian.org/ticket/426

I will add my info there and follow the ticket if I can.

--
   Oliver Charles / aCiD2

(Olly, sorry about the double email - in all my excitement I didn't
hit reply all :))