[notmuch] xapian errors and notmuch return codes

Tue Jan 19 00:55:00 PST 2010

When I perform a "notmuch search" while notmuch is updating tags in a
different shell, I get:
"A Xapian exception occurred performing query: The revision being read
has been discarded - you should call Xapian::Database::reopen() and
retry the operation"

but the notmuch return code is still "0" (indicating success?!).

It would be great to have a return code reflect the validity of returned
results, especially when the main means of interacting are piping from
the notmuch app at the moment.

Also, could the "man" page indicate which return codes notmuch delivers
in which cases? I would find that pretty helpful.

Sorry for not delivering patches, but I think there was a patch for
return codes on the list recently.

Sebastian